fu-GEN Asian-Canadian Theatre Company
fu-GEN is a not-for-profit theatre company dedicated to the development of professional Asian Canadian theatre artists through the production of new and established works.
* To produce works of Asian North American playwrights, and foster new works by emerging playwrights.
* To explore and address issues of Asian North American’s societal roles, responsibilities and identity in the past, present and future through our artistic endeavors.
* To build a stronger, truly multicultural Canadian community by breaking down stereotypes through education and development of a strong cultural artistic base.
* We serve the Asian Canadian theatre artist
* We are dedicated to exploring the underlying Asian Canadian story
* We believe in diversity of practice: using non-traditional space, time, methodology & philosophy
* We are evolving with our artists
We want to be the ones to see the dreams of talented Asian Canadian theatre artists through to realization. We want to be the stepping-stone to their emerging and establishing careers, the place to practice and hone their craft. We want to be an integral part of their artistic journey and growth. We exist to make our artists and our stories visible in the theatre community, the Toronto community, and the Canadian community at large.
87467 0300 RR0001
Thoughts about art and community:
We believe that diversity and accessibility are keys to a healthy arts community in Toronto. Our mandate is to support and nurture Asian Canadian Theatre artists, and in doing so, we help to diversify Canadian theatre by helping to create more Asian Canadian actors, playwrights, designers, producers and theatre administrators. Through our work, we also seek to develop new audiences by engaging Asian Canadian communities and encouraging them to be more active participants in Canadian-made arts and culture.