TIFF Volunteer - Intern Resources
Our year-round volunteers are an essential part of TIFF, working on ongoing initiatives in almost every department. They have a unique opportunity to be exposed to cinema from across Canada and around the world.
Our goal is to engage with a group of friendly, knowledgeable, dependable volunteers invested in achieving TIFF's mission: to transform the way people see the world through the moving image.
Please note that preference is given to active Festival or Sprockets volunteers who have consistently demonstrated a high level of performance, reliability and involvement. Openings are advertised to these volunteers first, then as needed in the TIFF Volunteer Newsletter.
Year Round Volunteer Programmes at TIFF:
Year-Round Admin Team
TIFF. Cinematheque Ushers
Marketing Street Team
Reel Talk Ushers
General Volunteer Applications
TIFF Year-Round Admin Team:
The TIFF Year-Round Admin Team is a skilled and exclusive group of volunteers supporting our many TIFF Departments with day-to-day administrative duties and special events.
Typically, volunteers must be available during TIFF office hours: 9:30am to 5:30pm Monday to Friday.
Casual volunteer positions - one-time tasks or projects that can usually be completed over a single volunteer shift. Most of these involve administrative duties, such as:
* assisting with mailings
* data entry
* office organization
Opportunities also include volunteering at single-day events such as the Student Film Showcase or Sprockets Teacher Preview nights. These positions may fall outside of TIFF office hours.
Continuing volunteer positions - Continuing volunteers provide a substantial contribution to a specific TIFF department. Time commitment can be a minimum of two shifts a month to a maximum of eighteen hours per week.
Some continuing positions include:
* providing ongoing administrative support to a department
* compiling press clippings,
* conducting internet research
Continuing volunteers develop skills and learn more about a particular area of TIFF. Over time, responsibilities can grow and new professional development opportunities can become available.
In most cases, continuing Admin team volunteers commit to a 6-month term. Term One runs May 1st to October 31. Term Two runs November 1st to April 30.
TIFF Cinematheque Volunteer Usher Programme:
TIFF Cinematheque volunteers are comprised of dedicated cinephiles who are interested in world cinema and film history.
With our move this year to TIFF Bell Lightbox, we will need more volunteers for more screenings.
Volunteers at Cinematheque screenings are responsible for:
* answering general questions about the theatre, TIFF and TIFF Cinematheque
* taking tickets
* counting ticket stubs
* assisting with line-ups
* ensuring that the cinema's policies are enforced
* performing some stage crew duties (i.e., placing microphones on and off stage).
Learn more about TIFF Cinemathque...
TIFF Marketing Street Team
Marketing Street Team volunteers assist with the promotion of TIFF's year-round initiatives by:
* distributing TIFF marketing materials
* liaising with Toronto neighbourhood establishments
* expanding TIFF's list of contacts in their neighbourhoods
Each member completes approximately two distribution rounds per month during regular business hours, over a three-month commitment period.
The TIFF Marketing Street Team is made up of enthusiastic and community-minded volunteers who have (or would like to have) a keen knowledge of their neighbourhoods and a desire to talk about film programming. Having a background in Marketing or Film is a welcome asset too
Reel Talk volunteers are a dedicated group of long-time volunteers who assist with front-of-house duties at this twice-monthly series screening some of the hottest films of the year. Volunteers are responsible for:
* greeting patrons and answering questions,
* checking passes,
* handing out promotional materials,
* assisting with anti-piracy measures.
Learn more about Reel Talk...
What are the requirements to volunteer?
All TIFF volunteers are expected to be:
We're depending on you to complete your shifts, represent TIFF positively and enjoy yourself. And of course, this is not the place for self-promotion or autograph seeking.
In particular, we need all TIFF Year-Round Volunteers to have:
* fluency in the English language and strong communication skills.
* flexibility and an ability to work well with others or independently, as required.
* interest in film and history of cinema.
* dedication to maintaining an inclusive work environment.
* commitment to regularly update personal account and volunteer schedule on Volunteer. (This is a requirement of all volunteers in a Year Round Programme and involves regular use of a computer with internet access).
Typically Year-round Admin team members should also have:
* basic to intermediate knowledge of computer applications (PC or Mac) including: Internet browsers, email, Microsoft Office suite (Word and Excel especially). Experience with relational databases is an asset.
* familiarity with administrative or office duties, attention to detail, sound organizational and time management abilities, and customer service skills.
We look for volunteers whose skills and interests will be the best fit for each position.
General Volunteer Applications
Although the most direct way to become an active TIFF volunteer is by first joining us during a seasonal Festival volunteer programme (Sprockets or the Festival in September), we do accept general applications to volunteer.
Prospective volunteers can submit a current copy of their resume (in the body of an email or attached in MS Word, RTF or PDF format), with details outlining any particular areas of interest and your general availability to volunteer, by email to: email@example.com.
Note that you will be contacted only if there is a particular upcoming project or initiative that matches your skills and availability.
Staying in touch
The best way to stay informed about all TIFF volunteer news, announcements and openings is to subscribe to our TIFF Volunteer Newsletter.
Thoughts About Art and Community