Employment: MABELLEarts Full Time Associate Artist (summer)
MABELLEarts is hiring!
We are looking for a post-secondary student who plans to head back to school in the Fall to fill the following role:
Full-Time Associate Artist
As an Associate Artist you will be responsible for assisting with large and small-scale projects set to take place over the summer, including the creation of a 200 sqft paved pathway, ongoing gardening, arts and cooking projects. The Associate Artist will assist with set up and clean up of workshops and workbees, community support, one-on-one support for community members with special needs, outreach and some administrative tasks including statistical record-keeping, filing and communications support.
We are excited to interview candidates who possess a range of skills (some of which we have listed below). We do not expect candidates to have all skills listed, but plan to give preference to candidates who possess a few of them!
• Carpentry and building experience
• Design, architecture or landscape architecture
• Visual arts – sculpture, textile arts, photography
• Web-based design
In addition, the following skills are essential:
• A love of people and a willingness to build relationships with all kinds of folks
• A basic understanding of the strengths and challenges of low-income communities and a desire to work with community members to make life more beautiful
• Basic computer literacy and organizational competence
• An ability to focus in the face of chaos, to work beyond your limits and to make hard work fun
Timelines and Remuneration:
30hrs/week $12/hr starting immediately and terminating at the end of August. Funded by the Canada Summer Student Program.
Applicants can send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your time and interest!
MABELLEarts brings together people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities to make art, tell stories and creatively transform the place that is Mabelle – a high-density Toronto Community Housing complex in Central Etobicoke. For us, community arts is a collaborative process of creating culture with the hands, voices and dreams of everyday people. Together we talk, work, play, plant, tell, build, remember, think, sew, eat, celebrate, draw, sing and mourn, transforming indoor and outdoor, physical and conceptual, personal and collective spaces in and around Mabelle.