Call for Submissions: Nueva Voz: A Latino Youth Theatre Initiative
Our Nueva Voz program is a theatre based program created to prepare and inspire the next generation of Latin American Canadians for a career in the arts. The program offers a secure, supportive environment in which participants can be themselves, and feel like they can be understood by their mentors, their peers and their communities. It's a free, after school theatre program which gives youth ages 14-19 a taste of professional training they will need to be successful. We are hopeful that the program will spark a love of theatre in a new generation, and that we will see their work submitted to future De Colores Festivals; we feel we are creating future theatre artists in this country.
Alameda Theatre Company has chosen theatre artists who specialize in all aspects of the theatre world in order to create a well-rounded experience for the participants. The adolescents will have a chance to learn from professional actors, directors, playwrights, dramaturges and movement based artists.
2013 Artist Mentors:
Anita La Selva (Co-Facilitator)
Natalia Naranjo (Co-Facilitator)
Olga Barrios (Choreographer & Dancer)
Nico Contreras (Spoken Word)
Adam Lazarus (Clown & Movement)
Amaranta Leyva (Puppetry)
Guillermo Verdecchia (Playwriting)
Marilo Nuñez (Acting)
Nueva Voz will be a seventeen session (weekly afterschool) program, running from February to May 2013. The program is a FREE program which will culminate in a public presentation at Theatre Direct.
For information please call us 416-652-5442 or email us at email@example.com
Centre for Spanish Speaking People
Susana Arnott, Vice Principal, Lakeshore Collegiate, TDSB
Call for Submissions: September 26, 2012
Deadline: November 30th, 2012
All participants will submit a written application, answering the following questions:
• What theatre experience, if any, do you have? (Participants need not have any theatre experience to be accepted, all we ask is that they have an open mind to the experience)
• What extra curricular activities are you involved in currently?
• What makes you the right person to be involved in Nueva Voz?
• What can you bring to the table and why is this important to Nueva Voz?
• What are you’re your strengths and weaknesses?
• Who are your mentors?
• What inspires you?
• What school (if any) do you attend, what is your grade level, and what is your age.
• The applicants will also be required to provide a short essay, video or visual creation to answer: "What does it means to be Latino/a in today's world?" (We will only accept DVD if you are submitting a video response).
• If you wish for your material to be returned, please include a SASE envelope.
We are selecting participants based on thoughtfulness, creativity in their responses, and those who reflect a genuine desire to be a part of Nueva Voz.
Recommendations from organizations, teachers, schools, etc. will be seriously taken into consideration. We are open to individuals who have passion and a desire to learn and be changed by this experience. We want to allow the next generation of artists to speak their minds, to create new experiences and to share their voices with the world around them. Alameda Theatre Company endeavours to be a mentor and guide for Latin youth and to have positive impact on the community and its members.
Where to Submit
Please send submissions by mail to:
Alameda Theatre Company
RE: Nueva Voz Program
845 St. Clair Ave. W.
2012 Nueva Voz Participants